As the School Travel Plan coordinator, I hope to inspire our students to learn about sustainable travel and allow them to engage in a range of travel initiatives. This will allow the children to make informed choices about the local environment as well as learning about the world as a whole.
The geography lessons we provide here at Gorringe Park Primary School are engaging, practical and fun!
My Movie 1.mp4
My Movie 2.mp4
The intent of the Geography Curriculum at Gorringe Park is:
- to inspire children’s curiosity and interest to explore the world that we live in and its people, which aims to ignite a love of learning so that they know more, remember more and understand more
- to develop children’s knowledge and understanding of the Earth’s physical and human processes, through investigating places in UK and the wider world.
- to provide children with opportunities to investigate and make enquiries about their local area so that they can develop a real sense of who they are, their heritage and what makes our local area unique and special.
- to enable children to apply geographical skills confidently to communicate their findings and geographical understanding to a range of audiences.
Our implementation is to:
inspire children’s curiosity and interest.
Knowledge Organisers - which outlines knowledge, specific vocabulary with meaning that all children must understand and readily apply to their written and verbal communication in a purposeful context.
Themed Curriculum Planning - which carefully plans for progression and depth concentrating on the geographical skills suited to the age group
Independent learning - where children are encouraged to enquire about their topic of interest and develop their independence when locating places, describing places and exploring the outdoors.
Educational Visits and Field Trips - When children are provided with an opportunity to explore and become more aware of their local environment as they progress through their geographical education and use a map specific for their areas of enquiry.
Where applicable links to Geography are made to develop the children’s topic learning.
Forest School – where all children have access to outdoor forest school learning from a trained teacher in school.
Home Learning - where appropriate curriculum themed home learning tasks are set which children complete with adults at home. This enables purposeful continuous learning beyond school and makes home school learning links meaningful.
Our impact for our Geography curriculum:
The impact of our high quality, well thought curriculum is to demonstrated the progression made by pupils across the school.
We measure the impact using the following methods:
- A reflection on standards achieved against the planned outcomes.
- A celebration of learning for each term which demonstrates progression across the school where children know more, remember more and understand more.
- Pupil discussions about their learning- The pupil voice represent an understanding of what geography is and how they have applied this learning in a given context as part of a highlight task
- Wider community- children act as responsible citizens in the wider community.